Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/cflynn/public_html/forum/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Progress: September 2008
Faery Tale Online Forum
August 19, 2017, 11:10:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Progress: September 2008  (Read 8520 times)
Lumin
Administrator

The Architect

View Profile WWW Email
« on: September 04, 2008, 05:23:25 AM »

For the next few days I'll be implementing the avatar creation system.  Once I am able to create player characters, I can walk through world interaction and build the code for each function along the way.

Faery Tale Online
Tell Your Story, Leave Your Legacy
Lumin
Administrator

The Architect

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 04:15:35 AM »

I got through a small part of the birth system today.  I am also building the time and calendar for the world, but I haven't decided what the ratios will be yet so I'll just be adding some place-holders for now.  I intend to use the first year or two of a player's childhood as a tutorial period.  The challenge is to keep it short enough to be fun, but not so short to be unrealstic.

Faery Tale Online
Lumin
Administrator

The Architect

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 01:38:54 AM »

Spent more time on character creation.  I also began adding code for displaying objects and people in each area.

Faery Tale Online
Lumin
Administrator

The Architect

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 05:09:13 AM »

Completed sign-up and login, made a few changes to the database and added status effects.

Faery Tale Online
Lumin
Administrator

The Architect

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 01:54:03 AM »

I spent some time on what happens after signing up.  After logging in the first time, users will be brought to a "portal" screen where they will be able to flag their avatar for creation.  Since I'm planning on having only one race, and there are no predefined classes, there will be no manual creation by the players.  Player stats, abilities and name will be determined by his/her parents (eg. inherited skills) at birth.  Of course, players can make up their own nick-name if they don't like their birth-name, but the birth-name will be logged in the dynamic story-book for consistency.

Faery Tale Online
Lumin
Administrator

The Architect

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 05:50:51 AM »

Spent more time on the portal screen and built the naming function that ties all of the player-named objects together.  The first real person of FTO was born today on a very small deciduous island in the north-eastern ocean (not really born since he has no real parents!).  He will be my Guinea pig for a while.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 09:57:52 AM by Lumin » Logged

Faery Tale Online
Lumin
Administrator

The Architect

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 06:16:05 AM »

I'll be spending the next few days on retrieving data for a player's current location and all of the objects, people and creatures associated with it.  I now have a good naming system that will allow users to change object names very easily.   I also added session handling for what a player sees when logged in/out.

Faery Tale Online
Lumin
Administrator

The Architect

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 06:25:41 AM »

By popular demand I've added a newsletter screen where you can enter your email and get major news and announcements.
I set up loading/saving of birth and nick name fields on the game screen.  Upon seeing a new player, they will be known by a simple description based on their age and gender (ex: a teenage girl).
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 02:48:43 PM by Lumin » Logged

Faery Tale Online
Lumin
Administrator

The Architect

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 06:27:56 AM »

I can now view all creatures, objects, buildings, nature and people in my current world location.  I can also see my own physical condition as well as my equipped items related to each body part.  Cleaned up some IE interface bugs.

Next, I need to build the chat system and add interface buttons for interacting with each object.

Faery Tale Online
Lumin
Administrator

The Architect

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2008, 12:18:06 PM »

The local chat system is up and running.  I made sure to build it with the capability to whisper and chat over long distances if a character has the ability to do that.

Faery Tale Online
Lumin
Administrator

The Architect

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2008, 12:00:49 PM »

Took a break from programming today and added several new creatures to the world.

Faery Tale Online
Lumin
Administrator

The Architect

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2008, 07:24:31 AM »

Set up ability to designate different names for other players. 
I did some brainstorming and came up with the creature spawn system and added some new database fields to handle it.  Lets just say that the world is going to be very dangerous and volatile with regard to monsters.  There will be no real "safe" zones and even low level characters can encounter very difficult monsters, however, a player's equipment and special abilities will have as much (or more) effect in combat as pure combat skill.  For example, a properly made shield may be able to completely neutralize dragon fire.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 07:30:07 AM by Lumin » Logged

Faery Tale Online
Lumin
Administrator

The Architect

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2008, 06:37:44 AM »

Cropped and added a couple dozen icons for buttons.  Added rename system for creatures, but there are some lingering bugs to work out.  Added tool-tip system for buttons and other features.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 07:05:19 AM by Lumin » Logged

Faery Tale Online
Lumin
Administrator

The Architect

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2008, 06:28:10 AM »

Monsters are now re-nameable and appearing with a tool-tip of their description.  I've added several buttons/icons for attacking, gathering resources, using/dropping items, whispering and for creating a "love" interest.  It is now possible to view the status and equipment of other players.  I also added an inventory system with slots for carrying objects around.

Faery Tale Online
Lumin
Administrator

The Architect

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2008, 06:51:29 AM »

Added ability to easily enter your own character description and be viewable for others.
I built the first piece of the construction system.  Buildings, furniture and any other item are available to build, only if the required resources have been gathered in the area.  So instead of showing a massive, spoiler menu of all the available objects in the world that can be created, the system will work more like Civilization where a new project will be "discovered" after the correct formula of resources has been gathered.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 06:53:34 AM by Lumin » Logged

Faery Tale Online
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: