Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/cflynn/public_html/forum/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Interview with Lumin
Faery Tale Online Forum
August 21, 2017, 12:57:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Interview with Lumin  (Read 9161 times)
Inane Wayne
Content Developer

View Profile
« on: June 01, 2009, 09:14:30 AM »

http://tigsource.com/pages/caseyflynn
Basic interview with our benevolent developer Grin

"This man stands tall and tan, with flowing black hair and a beard to match. He's wearing a thong, which wedges itself uncomfortably between his ass-cheeks. He sporadically does pelvic thrusts in the direction of random inanimate objects, and prefaces all his sentences with a loud, sexual grunt."
Wiro

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 12:05:19 PM »

Go Lumin!  Grin

Rest in peace eternally, my bonny darlings!
x. Perished, winsome mother, derailed mind and half-sickening thoughts
x. Forgotten tyrant and bully
x. Lost child, wandered too far
Vaylon
Content Developer

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 12:11:19 PM »

Very nice.

But what shall we do? Surely there will be a sudden influx of new applications, and yet our world is still very small.
soulwynd
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 04:09:51 PM »

Awesome, this topic will be sticky for a while now. Wink

Very nice.

But what shall we do? Surely there will be a sudden influx of new applications, and yet our world is still very small.
The answer is simple. We have more babies.
Vatican
Game Moderator

And yet, for some damn reason, I'M STILL HERE

anubis7898
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 06:13:24 PM »

Sweet interview  Grin

While your waiting for that next tick..

gamefreak1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 07:29:53 PM »

Hey sign me up for the space colony beta in five years hell yeah.
Lazer Bomb

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 08:59:30 PM »

Hey sign me up for the space colony beta in five years hell yeah.
YES YES YES  Tongue

Wild idea: the "space colony" game is in the same world as FTO but nobody playing either game would ever know they were playing with players from another game!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 04:42:19 AM by Lazer Bomb » Logged
JawsVictim
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 07:38:20 AM »

I like the space colony idea. I don't know if I'd want them landing on the faery tale planet with superior technology though. Great interview!
Ornithopter

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 11:03:52 PM »

Magic *is* superior technology.  Grin

But no, I don't think mixing the two is a good idea.

"I couldn't afford a bottle of wine," I said, "so I've drawn a picture of one on some cardboard."
Chris Morris, "Suicide Journalist"
Hyakkugojyuuichi
Feedback

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2009, 12:43:31 AM »

Magic *is* superior technology.  Grin

What about when technology reaches the point that it is indistinguishable from magic?

"The only limit to my freedom is the inevitable closure of the universe, as inevitable as your own last breath. And yet, there remains time to create, to create, and escape." --Durandal
soulwynd
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2009, 01:28:29 AM »

Magic's still magic.

Technology isn't usually dependent on anything else other than itself and power to work. For an example, a sword will cut no matter if it was just falling or someone waving it around. A rifle will still shoot if all the components are in order and the powder's still dry. Of course, it doesn't mean that using technology doesn't depend on skill, just that it will work.

Magic on the other hand, is based on one's wisdom and abilities directly. Even if you tell someone without skills how to do magic, he wont be able to.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 07:03:57 AM by soulwynd » Logged
Lumin
Administrator

The Architect

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2009, 01:45:01 AM »

Magic's still magic.

Technology isn't usually dependent on anything else other than itself and power to work. For an example, a sword will cut no matter if it was just falling or someone waving it around. A rifle will still shoot if all the components are in order and the power's still dry. Of course, it doesn't mean that using technology doesn't depend on skill, just that it will work.

Magic on the other hand, is based on one's wisdom and abilities directly. Even if you tell someone without skills how to do magic, he wont be able to.

This reminds me of the mini-series, "Taken" that was on the sci-fi channel a few years ago.  It's a pseudo-fictional story that takes place during/after the Roswell incident. 

The scientists were so baffled by the alien "technology" that there was no possible way for them to fly their flying saucer.  It had no conventional components, like an engine or control panel.  It was all controlled through the alien mind.  So, in this case, even though it was "technology" based, it was similar to magic (by the definition above) since no matter how well the saucer was explained to the scientists, they would never have been able to fly it without innate alien powers.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 01:46:46 AM by Lumin » Logged

Faery Tale Online
Tell Your Story, Leave Your Legacy
Lazer Bomb

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2009, 04:24:33 AM »

landing on the faery tale planet with superior technology though.
But the space colonists get disadvantages, like maybe they can't breath the air, or can't fight hand-to-hand combat very well. Also maybe they don't have as much population to throw around, as establised FTO colonies cities would.
soulwynd
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2009, 07:03:14 AM »

The scientists were so baffled by the alien "technology" that there was no possible way for them to fly their flying saucer.  It had no conventional components, like an engine or control panel.  It was all controlled through the alien mind.  So, in this case, even though it was "technology" based, it was similar to magic (by the definition above) since no matter how well the saucer was explained to the scientists, they would never have been able to fly it without innate alien powers.
Oh, I remember that series. That's a good example, but considering it's still technological, it would be possible to adapt maybe. Or perhaps you can consider it a hybrid of magic and technology, like a device that would enhance natural abilities so it would still be very user dependent. Ie. Someone, or some race without said abilities wouldn't be able to make use of it.

Like a tool/drug to make telepathy or precog work more efficiently on humans.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 07:05:32 AM by soulwynd » Logged
JawsVictim
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2009, 12:33:44 AM »

The idea is fantastic and I would love to see it happen at some point. But I wouldn't want it to happen for a few years, or at least, I wouldn't want contact for many years. Still in our infant stages on this planet Tongue

But it's a great idea and it would be revolutionary to do.

So you would have it be Two planets in the same solar system, both evolving seperatley on their own. Eventually they get space technology and travel to the other planet? Very cool idea.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: